FIVE LEGAL RESOLUTIONS
Most folks have given up on their New Year's resolutions by February.
So, here are few Legal resolutions that you can do today, to help yourself and your family:
1. Make a videotape of all of your household goods. If you suffer losses due to tornado, fire, theft or earthquake (optional coverage) you can easily fill out claim forms by watching the video in the apartment or hotel your insurance company places you in.
2. Buy more UM coverage. UM stands for Uninsured/Undersinsured Motorists coverage. On your car, you should carry at least $100,000.00 of this coverage. It is very cheap compared to what you may receive. It only pays your family or those in your car if they are injured or killed by an unknown, undersinsured or uninsured motorist.
3. Check your credit. You can do this for free, once per year per agency at www.annualcreditreport.com. This will help you spot identity theft and open cards you may have forgotten about.
4. Check your house and land for hazards. Are their rotten trees overhanging your driveway? They kill people every year. Do you have a good fence around your pool? Is your dog dangerous or improperly secured? Are your steps solid and stair railings tight? Are there hard to see holes or trip hazards in your yard? Is there plenty of lighting available at night? If you have cattle, are your fences in good shape without overhanging limbs or unlocked gates?
5. Do you have life insurance? Many do not. It is common for grief stricken widows to have to work two jobs to pay the funeral off. Is that your plan for your loved ones? Buy term insurance.
These few pointers may make a real difference for you this year. And, they are not nearly as hard as a resolution to lose some weight.