Sunday, June 28, 2009

$500 offer on personal injury case???

"A $500.00 OFFER?"

I  received a thank you note from a client.  I have to tell you, that is a real perk of my job.

I am blessed to receive thank you notes, cards, homemade pies and even old fishing baits (that I collect) from clients.

This letter recounted how an adjuster tried to get this injured man to sign a release soon after his car accident, offering to pay him just $500.00, before he ever hired me. 

He shared, "I settled for $24,500.00... You did an outstanding job handling my case..."

I was happy that he was pleased with the results. I know that, in the end, my successful cases conclude with a check for more than people can get on their own.

But, I was honestly much more touched by another part of the letter. He concluded, "I've talked to other lawyers in the past... They made me feel like a number... But you made me feel very comfortable." With all the lawyer jokes and so forth, it is reassuring to receive these type of compliments.

The moral of the story is this: The insurance company has no incentive to pay you a fair settlement without an attorney in the case of a serious injury.

When you hire a lawyer, you are starting a relationship. Interview your prospective attorney with that in mind.

If you feel uncomfortable with the first visit, you may wish to reconsider.

In the end, your lawyer is only paid if you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment