Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Why Practice Law in Millington, Tennessee?

Why Millington?

As an injury lawyer who practices in areas from Memphis to Covington and Ripley to Jackson, I get the question, “Why Millington?” quite a bit. Why is your office in Millington? Why not Memphis?
After all, some point out, “successful” attorneys usually have impressive high-rise offices in downtown Memphis, with sweeping views of the Mighty Mississippi River.

My views may not compare, as I am looking at Highway 51, a car wash and Millington’s only high-rise (also known as the Holiday Inn Express).  But I am content to be just where I am.  So I have no parking garages, no elevators, no gang shootings, no parking meters, no one way streets, no crowds, no panhandlers, and no angry big city folks.

But what do I have? I know Mr. Thomas that owns that hotel across the street, my dentist Kevin, and Drs. Boatwright who run a great local pharmacy. I dropped off my cleaning with Bobby this morning, and will probably say hello to Larry at the bank later this week.

It’s personal. Millington is just a welcoming place.

My Great, Great, Great Grandfather James Peel is buried at Mt. Vernon near Shelby Forest.  So roots run deep, right up through my Great Grandfather T. C. Peel being a keeper of the light on Island 40 in the River. He, my Granddaddy Chaffee Peel, and my Dad, Billy, sharecropped land on the levee in nearby Arlington. My Mother’s folks, the Griffins, raised her in nearby Rosemark. 

While my Dad’s job caused me to be raised in Southern Arkansas, I spent many a summer in this area.  Oddly, I now live right in between the homes that both my parents were raised in.

So, I could join the 3,000 or so lawyers that call Memphis home, and have an ivory tower office. Or I could build an impressive office out here.  Or, I could just be me, in my “glamorous strip mall office” and try to leave my clients and friends just a bit better than I found them.


For now, that’s plenty good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment